Friday, February 22, 2013

How to Shop at a Thrift Store: Shopping for Accessories

Hi everyone!
Here's the third installment of my "How to Shop at a Thrift Store" series. This week the topic is "Shopping for Accessories!" Accessory shopping is one of my favorite things to do at the thrift store. Let's get started!
One thing about the thrift store - there's loads of belts!
Thrift stores never have a shortage of accessories. I've seen everything from tacky Santa Claus pins from the 1980's, to classic vintage purses from the 1960's, to current belts of the 2000's. It's a lot of fun to find cool jewelry and accessories. First, I'm going to show you how to shop the jewelry counter. (my personal favorite)

Some of my favorite thrift store finds!
Dive in! At some thrift stores all the jewelry is out on the counter. At other stores it's in a glass case. The store I go to, it's on the counter in lots of little bowls. I look for all types of jewelry. Bracelets, rings, pins, necklaces, etc. I like to try on the jewelry, see how it fits and looks on me, and check it over before I buy it. Don't be afraid to do that! It's an important step! If you buy a bracelet or necklace and realize the clasp is broken when you get it home, that will have been a waste of your money. Always, ALWAYS, try it on before you buy it. Very rarely do I NOT find any jewelry that I like when I go to the thrift store. Once you wade through all those tacky Santa Claus pins, there are some beautiful pieces.

















Whenever I've gone to a thrift store, there's never been a shortage of belts. Loads of sizes, styles, and colors. Pretty self-explanatory, but try it on before you buy it. Even if it's too small for you around the hips/through your belt loops, you could use it as a fashion piece around your natural waist. The same if it's too big for your natural waist, you could always wear it around your hips/through your belt loops. I've even bought belts to make craft projects but that's a whole other post (come back next week!).



Shoes. Shoes are a tricky subject at thrift stores. You really, REALLY have to make sure they're new or have only been worn once or twice. I hardly ever buy shoes at thrift stores for this reason. If you do decide to take the chance, PLEASE make sure they're very clean before you start wearing them. Who knows if the previous owner had any disgusting foot...issues. I recommend spraying thoroughly with Lysol then placing then in the sun for AT LEAST 72 hours before wearing.



Shopping for purses at the thrift store is REALLY fun! I found my current purse at the thrift store! Sometimes you can find vintage purses. Even on occasion a nice brand such as Coach or Vera Bradley. When shopping for purses always check the clasp/zipper, the interior of the purse, and condition of the straps. 

Use these tips this weekend! Maybe you'll score an awesome find at the thrift store (tell us about it in the comments! We'd love to hear about it). Come back next week for the final installment in my series, "How to Shop at a Thrift Store: Shopping for Crafts!" Have a nice Friday!

-Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment